The Apostolate of the Laity

Waxing philosophical in communion with one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

I am just a sinner who holds fast to the notion that every human being on the planet is the result of a thought of God.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

In Thanksgiving

As this year's Thanksgiving holiday roles around, I do have so much to be genuinely thankful for. God has been merciful and kind to me over the last year. And while He knows my heart, I wanted to share just a few things that cause me to feel grateful.

First and foremost is my thanksgiving for God; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is my creator, my savior, my inspiration, my friend, my Heavenly Father, my benevolent task master, my reason for living, my hope after death, my comforter, my companion, my just judge, my best advocate, my guide, my ever present reminder of how beautiful life really is. God is love.

Second, I am thankful for my wife, my family. This last year has been a struggle for us, but through my pain and frustration, she has stood with me, supported me, loved me, encouraged me, kicked me in the butt when needed, held me, listened to me, made me laugh, and been my best friend in all weathers.

Next I am thankful for my immediate family. I'm thankful for my Mom who constantly prays for me, and for my Dad who has taught me the value of patience. I'm thankful for my eldest sister whose wisdom I value, and I'm thankful for my middle sister who is always ready to listen.

I am thankful for my Catholic family here in Oregon. I never knew how many dear friends my wife and I could be blessed with until we came home to this faith. To list them all would be a form of bragging, and I would likely leave someone out accidentally so I won't take that risk. There are so many from so many different walks of life. More specific, I am thankful for Teams of Our Lady. What a blessing this group has been to us.

I'm also thankful for my friends outside the faith. I see Christ in them, too.

I'm thankful for Pope Benedict XVI. What a gift. And I am thankful for the The Church Christ has entrusted him to shepherd.

I'm grateful for all the material things the Lord has given me. They are temporary pleasures in the grand scheme of things. How many people have little to call their own? I have to constantly remind myself that none of what I have follows me to Heaven. Everything belongs to God...I'm just borrowing the stuff while I'm here.

I could spend the better part of the day listing all of the people, things, and events in my life that I am thankful for. I encourage everyone to take a few minutes and step back from the turkey, the family drama, the insane shopping, and yes, even the football, and spend a few quality moments with God to give Him a simple, "Thank you."

Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home