The Apostolate of the Laity

Waxing philosophical in communion with one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

I am just a sinner who holds fast to the notion that every human being on the planet is the result of a thought of God.

Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Joyful Mysteries According to Luke

Luke was born premature at nearly 26 weeks of gestation. Through a lot of prayers and even more love, he has overcome many obstacles common to one born so young. Today, at a gestation age of just over 34 weeks, he continues to thrive in the Immediate Care Unit having recently graduated from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. For his family and friends and his Godfather, who authors this blog, Luke is nothing short of a personified miracle.

Over the weeks, Godfather has visited him to pray the rosary. Luke has made amazing progress in learning this prayer, and he offers the following reflections on the Joyful Mysteries of the most Holy Rosary.


The Annunciation.
The fruit of this mystery is humility.

It was my guardian angel who first made aware that I existed while I was still inside what they tell me is a place called the womb. When I asked him who I was, he simply said,

"You, are an idea of God."

When I asked how I came to be, he replied that I was the result of a supreme act of love. I really don't understand these concepts yet, but my guardian angel assured me it was a good thing. I know there was a lot of joy when my mom announced to everyone that I existed. I could sense that I was wanted, and I couldn't wait to see these wonderful souls my angel kept referring to as my parents. My angel told me that I was already bringing happiness to this thing he called "the world." I didn't really know what that was as I was pretty happy where I was. I had the joyful feeling all throughout my being and when I asked my angel about it he smiled and said,

"You are blessed because your parents said yes to God just like Mary did when she was asked to be the mother of Jesus."

At the time, I didn't really know who any of these characters were, but I noticed a pleasant look upon my angel's face whenever I pray the Hail Mary Godfather taught me so I decided to just go with it.

As I pray this mystery I try to remember how blessed I am to be here simply because God loves me and my parents love me.

The Visitation
The fruit of this mystery is love of neighbor

One day when I was in the womb, I started getting these new sensations. My angel explained I was starting to hear. He described that calming, rhythmic beat as my mom's heart. I really liked it. What also was neat was when she would go visit people and they would ask about me. Sometimes I would try to leap up to say,

"Here I am."

Mom thought I was kicking her, but really I just wanted to meet all the wonderful souls that seemed to be just on the outside of my cozy room.

When I pray this mystery, I think about how many souls really love me and how much I love them. I can't do anything for them right now, but it seems that just my existence brings them happiness so I'll keep on doing that, you know, existing.

The Nativity
The fruit of this mystery is poverty of spirit

One day I decided I just couldn't wait any longer to come see all the wonderful souls who were waiting for me, especially my parents. My guardian angel told me I should wait longer, but there was so much love out there I just had to experience it. My angel sighed and said he would protect me along the way, but that the road would be difficult. As I started to make my way, suddenly I sensed things had changed. Mom seemed really anxious and I could hear Dad's feet pacing back and fourth. There were a whole bunch of new voices that my angel told me were doctors and nurses and then he lifted up his eyes. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was praying. He reached and grabbed me by my ankles and said,

"I'm going to hold you here for a couple of days before I let you go."

I was a little upset about that, but then I also sensed Mom and Dad preferred that too. So reluctantly, I waited. After a couple of days, my angel let me go and I was surprised at how hard it was to get out. I thought about going back, but my angel said that was no longer possible. The noises started getting louder and I could hear Mom's heart beating harder. I emerged into the world and let out a cry which seemed to delight everyone, but gosh it was a lot colder out here. They wrapped me in blanket and laid me in a manger also called an incubator. I also sensed a lot of other souls around me. My angel told me that these were saints and that they were praying for me, too. This new place wasn't as nice as the womb. I kept getting poked and prodded and they stuck this thing up my nose to help me breathe. I never had anything like that inside of Mom.

When I pray this mystery, I try to remember how fortunate I was to have all those souls there to greet me, especially my mom and dad. They really, really love me, and I love them.

The Presentation
The fruit of this mystery is purity of mind and body.

It was only a few hours after I was born that Mom, Dad, a couple who I heard referred to as the Godparents, and new soul appeared whom everyone called Father. Was this God? My angel said that he was what we call a priest. His heart has been conformed to Christ.

"Who is Christ?" I asked.

"Wait and see," my angel smiled, then gazed upward in awe.

I heard the little portals of my incubator open and the hands of the priest rested above me. Then I heard him say,

"I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

As he said these words little drops of water tickled my head, but suddenly I felt something wonderful. It's hard to describe the feeling of being new in every cell of my body. I discovered a new love. It was as if somehow all the love I had experienced was gathered to become one with something so much larger than me.

"What's happening to me?" I asked my angel.

"You have been claimed by Christ." he said.

"Can I see him?"

"Not yet. One day you will, but you can feel him holding you now can't you?"

"Oh yes! I feel him. I feel my mom and dad. And I feel all these other souls holding me up in prayer."


This is my favorite mystery to pray because I always remember how it felt to be in hands of Christ for the first time.

The Finding of Jesus in the Temple
The fruit of this mystery is 0bedience.

So many doctors and nurses have worked hard not to lose me. I don't really understand this. Where could I possibly go? I'm with my mom and dad. I'm with Christ. I'm will all these saints. I'm with these people called grandparents and aunts. My godparents seem to come by almost every day. With so many people looking over me, why is everyone afraid of losing me? Still, it's wonderful to feel the joy, the pure love whenever they come to visit. It's as if they discover me for the first time. They keep saying that one day I will go home. I don't really know what that is, but I hope all these wonderful souls will follow me there, too.

When I pray this mystery, I pray that I never get lost because how lonely it would be without the love that Christ as has given me.

My angel still prays with me and my Godfather, though it's getting harder and harder to see my angel and the saints. As I get better seeing with my eyes, my soul's vision seems to dim, but he assures me that he will always be with me and that makes me feel good. Christ seems to be with me all of the time. I can't wait until I'm old enough to learn more about him. Until then, I rest in his arms, even when Mom comes to hold me. Somehow he's able to hold us both at the same time. He's even held Mom, Dad, me, and this other guy they call my big brother all at once. I don't know how he does it, but I'm glad he does.

There are other mysteries of the rosary we pray. I don't understand the sorrowful ones other than it makes me sad that anyone would want to hurt someone so wonderful as Christ. My angel tells me that Christ died for my sins, but I don't have any sins yet. The one I did have, apparently got washed away when I was baptized. It's all a little confusing to me, but I'm told I'll understand better when I get older.

Sometimes I wish I had waited to come into the world, but that would have meant waiting longer to meet Christ and my mom and dad. I feel kind of like a celebrity with all the attention I've received. I even have my own blog now. Not many babies my age can say that.

My name is Luke, and I am loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home