The Apostolate of the Laity

Waxing philosophical in communion with one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

I am just a sinner who holds fast to the notion that every human being on the planet is the result of a thought of God.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In Thanksgiving for Prayers Answered

Yesterday I had a small prayer answered.

I was driving to meet my wife at her doctor's appointment when I got a call on my cell phone. The caller ID showed that the call orginated from our parish office. I was expecting it to be any number of people from our church, but who it turned out to be was a surprise. It was my pastor. He was calling to ask if my wife and I could stop by and see him for few moments and talk about our concerns surrounding the mass where had removed the precious blood and cantor. I graciously accepted the invitation, and God forgive me, I spent the rest of the day wondering what he was up to. I was suspicious.

We met the pastor along with another couple who are stalwart participants in the mass in question. He humbled himself and one thing he said that touched me was, "I was wrong in the head but not the heart when I made these changes." We talked for a good half hour before we had to go as it was the Feast of the Assumption and my wife and I had not yet made it to mass. We laid out a plan to make some improvements, and I left the meeting with some new found respect for our pastor.

I will continue to pray for him, and I will pray for me. There is a reason pride is one of the seven deadly sins. My pride served as a roadblock to confronting my pastor on these issues. Instead I grumbled in the pew, to my wife, on this blog. I believe if I had initiated the meeting after his decision, I might have found a man more willing to consider a different response to what his head was telling him.

Christ in his mercy answered my prayer to find a way to deal with my pastor. It was the way of humility. Knowing how Christ lived, why am I not surprised?

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

This is a reason to be thankful! I will pray that things continue to go well for your parish.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

That is very refreshing news. It always does my heart good to hear about a man who humbles himself. May God bless your pastor and lead him to greater heights.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home